Products and Equipment

National Continence Helpline

8am - 8pm Monday to Friday AEST Talk to a continence nurse

Pads leaking urine

Get help from a health care professional or report to your supervisor or care coordinator if the person:

  • looks unwell or has a pain in their abdomen (stomach) or anus (bottom)
  • has symptoms of a urinary tract infection - temperature, shivering, pain in the lower back, blood in their urine
  • a rash

Continence pads and pants help stop urine and faeces leaking onto clothing, chairs or beds. They can be used to contain urine and faeces. There are a wide range of pads and pants. A continence nurse advisor will be able to give advice about the best products for the person you support.

What to do if a pad is leaking?


  • that the pad is secure between the person's legs. Pads that don't fit properly will leak.
  • if the pad needs changing. If it does, replace it with a new one.
  • that the person's clothes aren't too tight or too loose. If their clothes are too tight, the pad may not be channelled properly and may leak around the legs. If their clothes are too loose, the pad may move around and leak.
  • that the pad is the right size. Check the packet to see if it matches the size and weight of the person.
  • that the pad is absorbent enough. If not, ask for a pad review and try some new pad samples.
  • if the person is has constipation. Ask the person about their bowel motions and check the bowel chart, if they have one. They may need to see their general practitioner (GP).
  • if the person takes fluid tablets or recently started any new medication. Talk about this with your supervisor or care coordinator, or refer them to their GP.
  • if the person's urine is more smelly that usual. They may not be drinking enough fluids, or may be developing a urinary tract infection (UTI). For more information go to Fluids & Urinary Tract Infections.

If the pads or pants don't fit properly, organise for a continence nurse advisor or a registered nurse to do a pads review.

Need more help? Call the National Continence Helpline on 18OO 33 OO 66 and talk to a continence nurse advisor.

View this content and more for free via the learning modules at

This information is not a substitute for independent professional advice.